Sunday, November 9, 2008

MORE BROADS ON BROADWAY

Now that the election is over we can get back to more important issues like sexism in the New York City theatre scene. I recently saw “Boy’s Life” by Howard Korder at Second Stage. This was a play about three men, well boy’s I guess, who were liars, adulterers and date rapists. The silver haired audience yuked it up behind me while I sat stunned in the third row. Question: What does a play where a guy admits to having sex with his date after she passed out do? Answer: It makes us sick. Now that’s definitely not why I attend the theatre. Last night saw “All My Sons”, the sold out smash hit on Broadway that boasts a completely fresh eye from director Simon McBurney. It was over acted, melodramatic and was basically a play about a sound design. I won’t even go into what I thought about the revival of “The Seagull” except to say it was a big snoozorama. In short, my take on the fall season is that we desperately need a dose of “other” voices both writers and directors on the NY city stage. I hope that some good will come of the big pow wow last month at New Dramatists where the lack of parity for female playwrights was the point of discussion with notable local artistic directors. As I toss my Playbills in the trash this morning I chant my mantra: More Broads on Broadway.
-Aphra Behn
www.ggontour.com
© 2008

PS Off to China tomorrow…stay tuned for photos and reports from the front!

No comments: