Saturday, March 19, 2011

New Hampshire Diary #2


Dearest Book,

Monday, March 7, 2011: The car ride to New Hampshire was pretty smooth. Audrey Hepburn, Azucena Viaflore, and I spoke quickly and frequently in the beginning. I guess the excitement of getting out of the city got to us, plus, it’s always great to be travelling with intriguing young women and engaging in “girl talk”. Then, in the midst of all the excitement, we all fell asleep as if a magician had placed a spell on us. It was really funny. I woke up to some pretty beautiful scenery. If someone dropped me off in New Hampshire and drove off, I wouldn’t mind. I’d have time to soak in the quiet and calm atmosphere, which would be fantastic for all of my creative thoughts and ideas.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011: Today was so tiring. I have to say though, it was all really rewarding because our show at Keene State was amazingly fun. I really did go over the top out when I portrayed the mad waitress in MFK Fisher’s “Define This Word”. A GGOT fan walked up to the stage after the show and told us that she had not only been a fan since she was 15, but also, that she had travelled 3 hours to see this particular show! At that moment, I was incredibly proud to be a Guerrilla Girl On Tour. It just proves that comedy and compassion go a long way, because this fan also said that she was crying by the end of it. Wow! And of course, that’s the reason why Guerrilla Girls On Tour step up to the plate to share this message…and pie people in the face (that was the first time I got pied in the face and it was a fantastic, yummy part of my day!). People really are listening. And feminism is NOT dead.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011: I couldn’t really get to sleep very well, which was strange, considering the fact that I usually dose off the moment I hit a pillow. Anyway, I woke up twice during the night; once when I had to go to the bathroom, and the other time when Audrey Hepburn performed a riveting, mysterious, very loud monologue in her sleep.

We had to wake up really early to get back to the hustle and bustle of NY, so I couldn’t snooze 8 times like I usually do. Bummer. I showered, tried to wash the pie cream out of my hair. After an English muffin and some weak coffee, I got into the car and immediately started snapping corny pictures to capture some memories of Keene, New Hampshire. Until we meet again.

Love,

Zora Neale Hurston

March 9, 2011

No comments: